All drivers, without exception, are not allowed to drive alone unless they have passed the theory and practical driving test. However, there are often licence entitlements to drive other vehicles that are unclear. Below is a quick and easy guide to vehicles you can drive. Your vehicle entitlements are on the reverse of your licence.  It is also very important to know when your licence entitlements expire, as being caught with an expired licence can be costly and illegal.

Mopeds, motorbikes, and quad bikes

AM Category – You can drive 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum speed of over 15.5mph but not more than 28mph.

Category P – is the same as above but for mopeds with no more than 31 MPH, but must not be more than 50CC engine.

Category Q – is for 2 or 3-wheeled vehicles without pedals, including trials for e-Scooters but must not have any more than 50CC for combustion engines and with speeds below 15.5 MPH

Category A1 – is for motorcycles up to 125CC, with a power output of up to 11KW and power to weight ratio not more than 0.1KW/KG. This entitlement also allows you to ride motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW

Category A2 – you can ride a motorcycle with a power output of up to 35KW with the power-to-weight ratio of no more than 0.2KW/KG. The motorbike can not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

Category A – is for motorbikes with a power output of more than 35KW or a power-to-weight ratio of more than 0.2KW/KG and motor tricycles with a power output of more than 15kW

Category B1 – You can drive motor vehicles with 4 wheels up to 400KG unladen or 550KG if carrying goods.


Category BIf you passed your driving test before 1 January 1997, you can drive a vehicle with a trailer combination of up to 8,250KG maximum authorised mass (MAM). You are also entitled to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750KG MAM.

Category Bif you passed your driving test on or after 1 January 1997 – You are entitled to drive vehicles up to 3,500KG MAM with up to 8 passenger seats – small minibus – (with a trailer up to 750KG). You are also allowed to tow a heavier trailer if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500KG. You can also ride motor tricycles with no higher power output of than 15kW as long as you are over 21 years old. Disabled drivers with a provisional Category B entitlement will also have the provisional entitlement to ride Category A1 or A mopeds, motorbikes, or motor tricycles, but non-disabled drivers can no longer ride motor tricycles with the provisional category B on their licence.

Category B Auto – This is for driving automatic vehicles only. If you passed your test in using an automatic car, you can only drive automatic gear boxed cars or small vans. You would have to re-sit another driving test to be able to drive a manual gearbox.

Category BE – You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500KG with a trailer. The trailer size depends on the BE’ valid from’ date shown on your licence.

If you passed your practical driving test on or before 19 January 2013, you could tow any size trailer within the vehicle’s towing limits.

If you passed your test after 19 January 2013, you could tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500KG as long as it is within the towing limits of the vehicle.

Medium-sized vehicles

Category C1 – You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500KG MAM (with a trailer up to 750KG).

Category C1E – You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg, but the combined MAM of both cannot exceed 12,000KG

Large vehicles

Category C – You are able to drive vehicles over 3,500KG (with a trailer up to 750KG MAM).

Category CE – You can legally drive category C vehicles with a trailer over 750KG.


Category D1 – You are allowed to drive vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats, no longer than a length of 8 metres and a trailer up to 750kg

Category D1E – You can drive D1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750KG MAM, however, the combined MAM of both vehicle and trailer cannot exceed 12,000KG


Category D – You can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750KG MAM)

Category DE – You can drive D category vehicles with a trailer over 750KG

Other Categories

Category F – you can drive an agricultural tractor

Category G – you can drive a Road roller

Category H – you can drive tracked vehicles

Category K – You can drive a mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle

Category L – you can drive an electrically-propelled vehicle

Category M – you can drive trolley vehicles

Category N – Exempt from duty

Many of these other entitlements are already on your licence and can be found at the bottom of your reverse licence.

You do not need a driving licence if you drive electric bikes, mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs.