We offer a course called Mature Driver Assessment PLUS. This course is designed for mature drivers, typically aged 60+ who fall into the following categories:
- Have been asked by a professional or loved one to take a course to check they are safe to drive
- They have been involved in a collusion and want to check they are safe to drive
- They feel their confidence has been dwindling and need a boost
- They feel they have a number of bad habits, which have accumulated over the years, which need addressing
- They don’t specifically have any issues, but want to take the time to increase their skill and safety
We have named this course Mature Driver Assessment PLUS as like with other providers, we provide a mature driver assessment, but we also (the PLUS bit) offer highly bespoke training and coaching based around the driver, to help them take something positive away from the session, regardless of ability.
The driver is not just being assessed, but they’re also given insightful tips, techniques and advice to help them with their driving.
All our tutors are DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) registered instructors, who specialise in driver training for full licence holders of all ages and experience. Our tutors are caring and sympathetic, and take an understanding, non-judgemental view, and treat every client with the care and courtesy they expect.
On the day – What happens:
Your tutor will call you beforehand to introduce themselves and confirm all details for your session. Your tutor will then meet you at the agreed time and location. We can often start the training from your home, or a mutual location if you prefer. After a driving licence check, we will conduct an eyesight test, which involves reading a numberplate from around 20 metres.
A safety check of your vehicle will follow, which briefly looks at tyres, bulbs etc to make sure they’re legal. Once these are complete we will have an initial chat with you, before we let you drive how you normally do. This allow us to see what level your driving is currently at.
We record the results on one of our bespoke training forms, which scores you from Excellent to Poor in a range of areas, such as observation, car control, speed awareness, confidence and more. Once the initial drive is complete, we have a chat with you and provide feedback about the initial session.
After your initial session we will then tailor the training around your needs and requirements. During a course we cover a wide range of things, which can cover (depending on your needs):
* Forward planning and observation
* Speed awareness
* Advanced cornering techniques
* How to become a safer driver on all roads
* Rules of the road
* Commentary driving
* Reversing and manoeuvres
* Motorway driving
* Town and urban defensive driving
* Skid control theory and learning what causes skids
* Anticipation – Learning to see and not just look
* Understanding other road users and their intentions
When the course is complete we will score you again in the key areas, so you will be able to see areas you’ve improved on, and areas, which may need more attention. There will also be written notes from the tutor too. This report is sent on email 2 to 5 days after the course.
The cost for a 3.5hr session is £276.00. Should you wish to enquire about dates and locations, or have any questions about how we could help you, please email us using the form on the upper right of this page or call us. A member of our team will be delighted to help.